The Old State House, located at 25 The Green in Dover, Del., is currently featuring “The Old State House: A True Restoration 1976-2016,” a display that explores preservation work that has been conducted since Delaware’s first permanent capitol building in Dover was restored to its original appearance in 1976. Admission is free and open to the public. The museum is open Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Sunday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For additional information, call 302-744-5054.
Completed in 1791, The Old State House is one of the earliest state-capitol buildings in the United States, serving as the home of Delaware’s legislature until 1933 when the General Assembly moved to larger quarters in Legislative Hall. The venerable structure now appears as it would have in the late 1700s during the United States’ critical early years as a nation. It features a courtroom, governor’s and county offices and chambers for the state’s Senate and House of Representatives. The building is situated on Dover’s historic Green, a public area designated by William Penn in 1683. The Green is a partner site of the First State National Historical Park.
The Old State House is administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, an agency of the State of Delaware.
Go to the following for a full listing of exhibits and displays at the museums of the State of Delaware.
Go to the following for a comprehensive, long-term calendar of events sponsored by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs.