Written on: March 28th, 2018 in Preservation
The Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs is planning capital improvements at the Academy building, a state-owned historic property that the agency administers in downtown New Castle, Del. Improvements, which will begin in the spring of 2018, include replacement of the building’s existing wood-shingle roof with a new wood-shingle roof; replacement of existing roof hatches and flashing; and installation of an elastomeric coating on a metal section of the roof.
Located at 31 E. Third St., the New Castle Academy was built in 1799 according to a design by Peter Crowding, a Philadelphia master builder. It served as a public school until 1930 when the New Castle High School was built. The property is currently leased to Immanuel Episcopal Church which utilizes it for many church-related and community activities. The building is one of four historic properties (The Green, New Castle Court House Museum, Arsenal and Academy) that the division administers in Delaware’s original capital city which also serves as the headquarters of the First State National Historical Park.
The division will work with the construction contractor and Immanuel Church to limit inconvenience to the public, and the Academy building will remain open during the project. Residents and visitors will see the usual presence of equipment, materials and workers on site as well as the usual noises that go with roofing work during daytime hours. No weekend work is anticipated.