Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
Blogging Delaware History



DHCA Buena Vista


Twitter  Flickr  YouTube

  Archived Posts From: 2018

collections

Gov. Carney signs Abandoned Cultural Property Act

Written on: March 28th, 2018 in CollectionsMuseums

In a ceremony held in Dover’s Old State House on March 8, 2018, Gov. John Carney signed into law the Abandoned Cultural Property Act, which allows Delaware museums to establish title to property that has been donated or left with them after a loan period has terminated and the lender could not be found. The law allows more efficient use of museum funds and assists museums in conserving, displaying and, when necessary, ethically disposing of abandoned, unclaimed or unsolicited property.

Gov. John Carney holds up a copy of the Abandoned Cultural Property Act which he had just signed into law. Looking on from the back row left are University of Delaware Museum Studies students Kathryn Lenart, Sara McNamara and Tess Frydman (obscured); Dan Citron, executive director of the New Castle Historical Society and president of the Delaware Museum Association; Museum Studies student Sharon Hess; and state Sen. Ernesto Lopez. From the front row left are state representatives Paul Bombach and Jeffrey Spiegelman; Dr. Kasey Grier, director of the Museum Studies Program at the University of Delaware; state Sen. Nicole Poore and state Rep. Harvey Kenton

Gov. John Carney holds up a copy of the Abandoned Cultural Property Act which he had just signed into law. Looking on from the back row left are University of Delaware Museum Studies students Kathryn Lenart, Sara McNamara and Tess Frydman (obscured); Dan Citron, executive director of the New Castle Historical Society and president of the Delaware Museum Association; Museum Studies student Sharon Hess; and state Sen. Ernesto Lopez. From the front row left are state representatives Paul Bombach and Jeffrey Spiegelman; Dr. Kasey Grier, director of the Museum Studies Program at the University of Delaware; state Sen. Nicole Poore and state Rep. Harvey Kenton

Among those speaking at the ceremony were state Rep. Jeffrey Spiegelman, the bill’s primary sponsor; and state senators Nicole Poore and Ernesto Lopez and state Rep. Paul Bombach who also served as sponsors of the legislation. Additional speakers included Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs Director Tim Slavin; Dan Citron, executive director of the New Castle Historical Society and president of the Delaware Museum Association; and Dr. Kasey Grier, director of the Museum Studies Program at the University of Delaware and two students from the program—Sara McNamara and Kathryn Lenart.

The issue of what to do with abandoned cultural property had long been discussed by members of the Delaware Museum Association. According to Citron, “Legislation to fix the problem has been on our wish list for some time, but we knew that the process of researching other states’ legislation and then drafting something would be time-consuming.” During such discussions, Grier and Suzanne Savery, deputy director of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, came up with the idea of asking graduate students in the Museum Studies Program to take on the research project.

The six students who participated in the project—Lenart, McNamara, Tess Frydman, Sharon Hess, Sam Christensen and Sara Berndt—accepted their charge with passion and commitment. After conducting research and presenting their findings to Spiegelman, he agreed to sponsor the legislation in Delaware’s General Assembly. Praising the students’ efforts, Spiegelman noted that the legislation “started as a graduate-student project and ended up [with the governor signing the bill into law] in The Old State House.”

Using the signing ceremony as a vehicle to honor the six student-researchers, Citron announced that they had been awarded the Delaware Museum Association’s Delaware Diamond Award for their efforts.

Winners of the Delaware Museum Association’s Delaware Diamond Award holding their award certificates. From left: Dr. Kasey Grier, director of the Museum Studies Program at the University of Delaware; Dan Citron, executive director of the New Castle Historical Society and president of the Delaware Museum Association; award winners Kathryn Lenart, Sharon Hess, Tess Frydman and Sara McNamara; and Gov. John Carney

Winners of the Delaware Museum Association’s Delaware Diamond Award holding their award certificates. From left: Dr. Kasey Grier, director of the Museum Studies Program at the University of Delaware; Dan Citron, executive director of the New Castle Historical Society and president of the Delaware Museum Association; award winners Kathryn Lenart, Sharon Hess, Tess Frydman and Sara McNamara; and Gov. John Carney

For press accounts of the signing ceremony, go to the following:

New law aids museums
UDaily, University of Delaware, Newark—March 20, 2018

DE House Bill 231 in effect giving museums legal ownership to property
WMDT TV, Salisbury, Md.—March 8, 2018


Tags: , ,

preservation

Division to replace New Castle Academy roof

Written on: March 28th, 2018 in Preservation

The Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs is planning capital improvements at the Academy building, a state-owned historic property that the agency administers in downtown New Castle, Del. Improvements, which will begin in the spring of 2018, include replacement of the building’s existing wood-shingle roof with a new wood-shingle roof; replacement of existing roof hatches and flashing; and installation of an elastomeric coating on a metal section of the roof.

New Castle Academy

New Castle Academy

Located at 31 E. Third St., the New Castle Academy was built in 1799 according to a design by Peter Crowding, a Philadelphia master builder. It served as a public school until 1930 when the New Castle High School was built. The property is currently leased to Immanuel Episcopal Church which utilizes it for many church-related and community activities. The building is one of four historic properties (The Green, New Castle Court House Museum, Arsenal and Academy) that the division administers in Delaware’s original capital city which also serves as the headquarters of the First State National Historical Park.

The division will work with the construction contractor and Immanuel Church to limit inconvenience to the public, and the Academy building will remain open during the project. Residents and visitors will see the usual presence of equipment, materials and workers on site as well as the usual noises that go with roofing work during daytime hours. No weekend work is anticipated.

Aerial view of the New Castle Green. In the foreground is the New Castle Court House Museum, followed counterclockwise by the Arsenal, Immanuel Episcopal Church and the Academy. Photo by Bruce Burk

Aerial view of the New Castle Green. In the foreground is the New Castle Court House Museum, followed counterclockwise by the Arsenal, Immanuel Episcopal Church and the Academy. Photo by Bruce Burk

 


Tags: , , ,

preservation

Division notes passing of former director John R. Kern

Written on: March 26th, 2018 in Preservation

The Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs notes, with sadness, the passing of John R. Kern who served as the division’s director and state historic preservation officer between 1984 and 1988. Among his many accomplishments with the agency, Kern oversaw major restoration work at the John Dickinson Plantation.

John R. Kern

John R. Kern

Originally from Iowa, Kern received his bachelor’s degree from Swarthmore College and served two years in the Peace Corps in Tunisia before earning his master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Prior to coming to Delaware, he worked in a variety of history- and historic-preservation-related positions in Michigan. After leaving the division in 1989, Kern moved to Roanoke, Va. to become the regional director of Virginia’s Department of Historic Resources. After his retirement in 2010, he remained deeply involved in helping to preserve the historical legacy of southwest Virginia until his death on March 18, 2018.

Go to the following for more information on the life and career of John R. Kern.


Tags: , , ,

events

Division to sponsor 16 special events during April 2018

Written on: March 23rd, 2018 in EventsMuseums

During the month of April 2018, the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs will be sponsoring 16 special programs at sites across the state. A full schedule is included below. Except where noted, all programs are free and open to the public.

“Landing of the DeVries Colony at Swaanendael, Lewes, Delaware 1631” by Stanley M. Arthurs. Courtesy of the permanent collection of the University of Delaware. The Zwaanendael Museum will explore Delaware’s Dutch heritage in programs on April 21 and 28, 2018.

“Landing of the DeVries Colony at Swaanendael, Lewes, Delaware 1631” by Stanley M. Arthurs. Courtesy of the permanent collection of the University of Delaware. The Zwaanendael Museum will explore Delaware’s Dutch heritage in programs on April 21 and 28, 2018.

Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs special events, April 2018

Sunday, April 1, 2018
Easter Sunday. All museums of the State of Delaware (the John Dickinson Plantation, the Johnson Victrola Museum, the New Castle Court House Museum, The Old State House and the Zwaanendael Museum) will be closed. 302-744-5054.

Thursday, April 5, 2018
“Let the Music Play: Inventions From Eldridge Reeves Johnson.” Program explores the many inventions of the Delaware native and founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company. Part one of the four-part “Coffee-Hour Lecture Series: ‘Delaware’s Inventors and Scientific Contributors.’ ” The Old State House, 25 The Green, Dover. 5:30 p.m. 302-744-5054.

Thursday–Sunday, April 6–15, 2018
Lewes Tulip Celebration. City-wide series of events including tours, displays, children’s activities, crafts and more. Sponsored by the Lewes Chamber of Commerce. Downtown Lewes locations including the Zwaanendael Museum, 102 Kings Highway, which will feature tulip arrangements by the Sussex Gardeners and will be open Tue.–Sat., 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. and Sun., 1:30–4:30 p.m. with free admission. Fees may be charged at other venues. 302-645-8073.

Saturday, April 7, 2018
“Prohibition in the First State.” Guided tours highlight the prohibition of alcohol in Delaware including an examination of the ratification of the 18th Amendment, its enforcement, its impacts on Delawareans and its eventual repeal through the ratification of the 21st Amendment. First Saturday in the First State program. The Old State House, 25 The Green, Dover. 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 302-744-5054.

Saturday, April 7, 2018
“Songwriting: Poetry Through Music.” In celebration of National Poetry Month, guided tours will highlight the great songwriters of the Victor Talking Machine Company accompanied by recordings of their compositions played on authentic Victor Talking Machines. First Saturday in the First State program. Johnson Victrola Museum, 375 S. New St., Dover. 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 302-739-3262.

Saturday, April 7, 2018
Buena Vista’s First Annual Spring Open House. Guided tours of the grounds of one of Delaware’s most historic estates at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Self-guided tours of the mansion and grounds are welcome. Buena Vista: A Delaware Country Estate, 661 S. Dupont Highway (Route 13), New Castle. 10 a.m.–1 p.m. 302.323.4430.

Buena Vista

Buena Vista

Saturday, April 7, 2018
Rededication of the Johnson Victrola Museum. Join the museum’s directors and staff in celebration of its 50th anniversary and the re-dedication of 50 more years of service to the community. Activities will also include a theatrical presentation by museum-interpreter Steven Mumford and musical selections by Don-Del Productions. Cupcakes and coffee will be served. Johnson Victrola Museum, 375 S. New St., Dover. Program at 11 a.m. in the museum’s 2nd floor gallery (entry via staircase; no elevator). Museum open 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 302-739-3262.

Thursday, April 12, 2018
“Nylon: A Success in Seaford.” Maria Heyssel of the Seaford Historical Society will examine the nylon manufacturing that took place in Seaford, Del. and the impact that it had on the local community and the world. Part two of the four-part “Coffee-Hour Lecture Series: ‘Delaware’s Inventors and Scientific Contributors.’ ” The Old State House, 25 The Green, Dover. 5:30 p.m. 302-744-5054.

Saturday, April 14, 2018
Demonstrations by the Thistledown Fiber Arts Guild. Program explores spinning, weaving, knitting and other fabric arts. John Dickinson Plantation, 340 Kitts Hummock Road, Dover. Program 1–3 p.m. Museum open 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 302-739-3277.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Delaware State Review Board for Historic Preservation meeting. Agenda TBA. The Delaware Room, Delaware Public Archives, 121 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Dover. 10 a.m.–Noon. 302-736-7417.

Thursday, April 19, 2018
“ILC and the Space Suit.” Bill Ayrey, lab manager and company historian from ILC Dover, will discuss the development and usage of the space suit including those that the company manufactures for NASA. Part three of the four-part “Coffee-Hour Lecture Series: ‘Delaware’s Inventors and Scientific Contributors.’ ” The Old State House, 25 The Green, Dover. 5:30 p.m. 302-744-5054.

Saturday, April 21, 2018
Dutch-American Friendship Day. Discover Delaware’s Dutch roots and learn how that connection is alive today. Zwaanendael Museum, 102 Kings Highway, Lewes. 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 302-645-1148.

Saturday, April 21, 2018
Earth Day at the John Dickinson Plantation. Celebrate Earth Day with a hike on the estate of the “Penman of the Revolution” followed by a potpourri-making demonstration. Dress appropriately. John Dickinson Plantation, 340 Kitts Hummock Road, Dover. Hike at 11:30 a.m. Museum open 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Free admission but, due to space restrictions, reservations for the hike are required by calling 302-739-3277 no later than April 20. 302-739-3277.

Saturday, April 21, 2018
“Mysteries at the Museum: ‘Blood Diamond: The Murder of Ebe Lynch.’ ” It is 1916, on a hot summer night on Second Street in downtown Lewes, Del. and a shot has been fired. Ebe Lynch is dead! In this historical play, museum guests will search for clues to help solve the mystery and find the killer. Zwaanendael Museum, 102 Kings Highway, Lewes. Program at 2 p.m. on the museum’s 2nd floor (entry via staircase; no elevator). Museum open 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Free admission but, due to space restrictions, reservations for the lecture are required by calling 302-645-1148 no later than April 20, 2018.

Sunday, April 22, 2018
Festival at the Fort.” Event explores Wilmington’s Colonial-era cultures of the Lenni Lenape, Swedes, Finns, Dutch and English. Activities include children’s games, crafts and vendors, ceremonies, live music, tours of the Kalmar Nyckel and Old Swedes Historic Site, a scavenger hunt, food trucks and more. Seventh Street peninsula in Wilmington including Fort Christina National Historic Landmark, 1110 E. Seventh St. Noon–4 p.m. General admission free with fees charged for some activities. 302-429-7447.

Thursday, April 26, 2018
“Doctor James Tilton and the Tilton Hut.” Historic-site interpreter Dennis Fisher will discuss how this life-saving invention, developed by Dr. James Tilton of Kent County, Del., was created in the 1700s. Final segment of the four-part “Coffee-Hour Lecture Series: ‘Delaware’s Inventors and Scientific Contributors.’ ” The Old State House, 25 The Green, Dover. 5:30 p.m. 302-744-5054.

Saturday, April 28, 2018
King’s Day. Celebration of the birthday of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands in a program that will also explore royal titles and Delaware’s Dutch connection. Zwaanendael Museum, 102 Kings Highway, Lewes. 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 302-645-1148.

Administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, the five museums of the State of Delaware—the John Dickinson Plantation, the Johnson Victrola Museum, the New Castle Court House Museum, The Old State House and the Zwaanendael Museum—tell the story of the First State’s contributions to the history and culture of the United States. Through tours, exhibits, school programs and hands-on activities, the museums shine a spotlight on Delaware’s unique history and the diverse people who came to live there. The museums are accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The New Castle Court House Museum and the John Dickinson Plantation are partner sites of the First State National Historical Park. The Old State House is located on the Dover Green, another partner site of the park. Go to the following for a comprehensive, long-term calendar of division-sponsored events.

American Alliance of Museums accreditation logo

 


Tags: , ,

museums

State Sen. Nicole Poore visits the New Castle Court House Museum to celebrate accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums

Written on: March 22nd, 2018 in Museums

State Sen. Nicole Poore recently visited the New Castle Court House Museum, located at 211 Delaware St. in New Castle, to celebrate the accreditation of the museum system of the State of Delaware by the American Alliance of Museums, the highest recognition afforded to museums in the United States. Administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, the system includes five state museums, over 40 historic properties and the state’s archaeological and historic-objects collections.

State Sen. Nicole Poore (right) visits the New Castle Court House Museum in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. At left is the museum’s site supervisor Cindy Snyder.

State Sen. Nicole Poore (right) visits the New Castle Court House Museum in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. At left is the museum’s site supervisor Cindy Snyder.

Developed and sustained by museum professionals for over 45 years, the alliance’s accreditation program is the field’s primary vehicle for quality assurance, self-regulation and public accountability. It strengthens the museum profession by promoting practices that enable leaders to make informed decisions, allocate resources wisely and remain financially and ethically accountable in order to provide the best possible service to the public.

American Alliance of Museums accreditation logo

Constructed in 1732, the New Castle Court House is one of the oldest active court buildings in the United States and was Delaware’s first state capitol. Here, the Colonial Assembly passed the 1776 Separation Resolution creating the Delaware State. During its nearly 300 years of history, this landmark has played many pivotal roles in the political, social and commercial life of both New Castle and Delaware. The museum is a partner site in the First State National Historical Park.

New Castle Court House Museum

New Castle Court House Museum

The museum is open for visitation and tours from Tuesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Sunday from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public. Go to the following for a comprehensive, long-term calendar of division-sponsored events. For additional information, call 302-323-4453.


Tags: , , ,

news

Presentation to Kent County Levy Court celebrates Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums

Written on: March 16th, 2018 in News

Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs Deputy Director Suzanne Savery and site supervisor Nena Todd of the division’s downtown Dover museums recently gave a presentation to the commissioners of the Kent County Levy Court celebrating the accreditation of the museum system of the State of Delaware by the American Alliance of Museums, the highest recognition afforded to museums in the United States.

Suzanne Savery and Nena Todd of the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs with commissioners of Kent County Levy Court. From left: Commissioner Eric L. Buckson; Savery; commissioners James E. Hosfelt, Jr., Glen M. Howell, George "Jody" Sweeney, Terry L. Pepper and Allan F. Angel; and Todd

Suzanne Savery and Nena Todd of the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs with commissioners of Kent County Levy Court. From left: Commissioner Eric L. Buckson; Savery; commissioners James E. Hosfelt, Jr., Glen M. Howell, George “Jody” Sweeney, Terry L. Pepper and Allan F. Angel; and Todd

Administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, the museum system includes five state museums—the John Dickinson Plantation near Kitts Hummock; the Johnson Victrola Museum and Old State House in downtown Dover; the New Castle Court House Museum; and the Zwaanendael Museum in Lewes—over 40 historic properties and the state’s archaeological and historic-objects collections. Go to the following for a comprehensive, long-term calendar of division-sponsored events.American Alliance of Museums accreditation logo

 

Developed and sustained by museum professionals for over 45 years, the alliance’s accreditation program is the field’s primary vehicle for quality assurance, self-regulation and public accountability. It strengthens the museum profession by promoting practices that enable leaders to make informed decisions, allocate resources wisely and remain financially and ethically accountable in order to provide the best possible service to the public.


Tags: , , ,

historic-sites

State Rep. Collins visits Prince George’s Chapel in Dagsboro to celebrate accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums

Written on: March 15th, 2018 in Historic SitesNews

State Rep. Richard G. Collins recently visited Prince George’s Chapel, located at 32040 Ward Lane in Dagsboro, Del., to celebrate the accreditation of the museum system of the State of Delaware by the American Alliance of Museums, the highest recognition afforded to museums in the United States. Administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, the system includes five state museums, over 40 historic properties and the state’s archaeological and historic-objects collections.

State Rep. Richard G. Collins visits Prince George’s Chapel in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. With Collins is Crystal Hudson of the Friends of Prince George’s Chapel.

State Rep. Richard G. Collins visits Prince George’s Chapel in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. With Collins is Crystal Hudson of the Friends of Prince George’s Chapel.

Developed and sustained by museum professionals for over 45 years, the alliance’s accreditation program is the field’s primary vehicle for quality assurance, self-regulation and public accountability. It strengthens the museum profession by promoting practices that enable leaders to make informed decisions, allocate resources wisely and remain financially and ethically accountable in order to provide the best possible service to the public.

American Alliance of Museums accreditation logo

Built in 1755, Prince George’s Chapel had its beginnings as an Anglican chapel-of-ease, serving the northern outlying area of Worcester Parish, Maryland. The chapel was named in honor of the English prince who would later become King George III. During the reorganization of the Episcopal Church following the American Revolution, the chapel became an independent parish church in the Diocese of Delaware. Acquired by the state of Delaware in 1967, it was restored and reopened in 1974.

Prince George’s Chapel

The chapel is a superb example of 18th-century church architecture in the English tradition conceived for masonry but here executed in wood in an area where no other medium was readily available. Its most striking feature is the graceful barrel-vaulted ceiling of natural, unadorned heart-pine planks. The nave section remains as the original 18th century portion, while the east transept-end, with its great window and octagonal high-pulpit, has been reconstructed.

The site is managed by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs and operated by the Friends of Prince George’s Chapel which opens it for public visitation at various times during the year. For visitor information, call 302-732-3777.


Tags: , ,

preservation

Delaware State Historic Preservation Office recent accomplishments

Written on: March 12th, 2018 in Preservation

On March 12, 2018, the Delaware State Historic Preservation Office released a report on some of the most significant accomplishments that it has achieved during the past year. A unit of the state’s Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, the office administers a broad range of federal and state programs that identify, register and help to preserve Delaware’s historic places and unique cultural identity.

Go to the following to read the report.

Delaware State Historic Preservation Office Recent Accomplishments Report 2018

 

 


Tags: , , ,

news

Division seeks physical plant maintenance/trades mechanic

Written on: March 8th, 2018 in News

The Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs is currently seeking qualified applicants for the part-time position of Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Mechanic I. The position is responsible for completing basic repairs in several trade fields and performing routine preventative maintenance and repair work at the semi-skilled level. Applications are available by going to the Delaware Employment Link. Application opening date: March 8, 2018. Closing date: March 14, 2018.

Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs logo


Tags: , , ,

museums

State Sen. Lopez visits the Zwaanendael Museum to celebrate accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums

Written on: March 8th, 2018 in MuseumsNews

State Sen. Ernesto Lopez recently visited the Zwaanendael Museum, located at 102 Kings Highway in Lewes, Del., to celebrate the accreditation of the museum system of the State of Delaware by the American Alliance of Museums, the highest recognition afforded to museums in the United States. Administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, the system includes five state museums—the John Dickinson Plantation near Kitts Hummock; the Johnson Victrola Museum and Old State House in downtown Dover; the New Castle Court House Museum; and the Zwaanendael Museum in Lewes—over 40 historic properties and the state’s archaeological and historic-objects collections.

State Sen. Ernesto Lopez visits the Zwaanendael Museum in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. With Lopez is Zwaanendael Museum site supervisor Bridget Warner.

State Sen. Ernesto Lopez visits the Zwaanendael Museum in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. With Lopez is Zwaanendael Museum site supervisor Bridget Warner.

Developed and sustained by museum professionals for over 45 years, the alliance’s accreditation program is the field’s primary vehicle for quality assurance, self-regulation and public accountability. It strengthens the museum profession by promoting practices that enable leaders to make informed decisions, allocate resources wisely and remain financially and ethically accountable in order to provide the best possible service to the public.

American Alliance of Museums accreditation logoThe Zwaanendael Museum was built in 1931 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the state’s first European colony, Swanendael, established by the Dutch along Hoorn Kill (present-day Lewes-Rehoboth Canal) in 1631. Designed by E. William Martin (architect of Legislative Hall and the Hall of Records in Dover), the museum is modeled after the town hall in Hoorn, the Netherlands, and features a stepped facade gable with carved stonework and decorated shutters. The museum’s exhibits and presentations provide a showcase for Lewes-area maritime, military and social history.

The museum is currently open for visitation and tours from Wednesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public. Go to the following for a comprehensive, long-term calendar of division-sponsored events. For additional information, call 302-645-1148.

Zwaanendael Museum. Photo by Don Pearse Photographers

Zwaanendael Museum. Photo by Don Pearse Photographers


Tags: , ,

DHCA Blog Logo

+