On Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs Director Tim Slavin presided over a ceremony marking the opening of “New Castle: Three Forts, One Community,” a new exhibit that examines the 17th-century struggle for control of New Castle, Del. by the Dutch, Swedes and English, and the strongholds that they built to maintain their power. The exhibit is on display at the New Castle Court House Museum located at 211 Delaware St.in New Castle, Del.
In addition to remarks by Slavin, the opening ceremony included comments by Cindy Snyder, site supervisor of the New Castle Court House Museum, and Lauren Morgens, captain of the Kalmar Nyckel, which was docked in New Castle and open for on-board tours. Approximately 50 people attended the opening ceremony in the Court House.
Other activities that occurred throughout the day included Dutch and Swedish re-enactors and encampments; museum and exhibit tours; Swedish craft-activities for children; and a walking tour of the site of Fort Casimir.
Constructed in 1732, the New Castle Court House is one of the oldest active court buildings in the United States and was Delaware’s first state capitol. Here, the Colonial Assembly passed the 1776 Separation Resolution creating the Delaware State. During its nearly 300 years of history, this landmark has played many pivotal roles in the political, social and commercial life of both New Castle and Delaware. The museum is a partner site in the First State National Historical Park.