Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
Blogging Delaware History



DHCA Buena Vista


Twitter  Flickr  YouTube

historic-sites

Hale-Byrnes House to receive $47,610 grant from the Longwood Foundation

Written on: November 23rd, 2016 in Historic Sites News Preservation

On Nov. 18, 2016, the Delaware Society for the Preservation of Antiquities was notified that it would be receiving a $47,610 grant from the Longwood Foundation for repair of deteriorating mortar joints in the brick façade at the gables and chimneys of the Hale-Byrnes House, located at 606 Stanton-Christiana Road in Newark, Del.

Deteriorating mortar joints at one of the gables of the Hale-Byrnes House.

Deteriorating mortar joints at one of the gables of the Hale-Byrnes House.

Leased to the antiquities society by the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, Hale-Byrnes House was built in 1750 and used in 1777 as a meeting place for Gen. George Washington and his staff between the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge in Delaware and the Battle of Brandywine in Pennsylvania. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. 

Hale-Byrnes House

Hale-Byrnes House

In recent years, significant investments in water-control have been completed at the property including the replacement of the septic system by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, and improvements made by the Delaware Department of Transportation that prevent road runoff from entering the property.


Tags: , , , , , ,

DHCA Blog Logo

+