Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
Blogging Delaware History



DHCA Buena Vista


Twitter  Flickr  YouTube

events

“Doctor Who and William Penn” to be presented at The Old State House on Aug. 19, 2017

Written on: August 9th, 2017 in Events Museums News

On Saturday Aug. 19, 2017 at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., The Old State House, located at 25 The Green in Dover, Del., will present “Doctor Who and William Penn,” a theatrical performance in which the Time Lord once again visits Dover, this time bringing his newest companion, William Penn, all the way from 1704 England. Over the course of the play, Penn discovers that no journey through time and space ever goes smoothly. Admission is free but visitors are encouraged to arrive early to ensure seating. For additional information, call 302-744-5054.

Dr. Who

Dr. Who

“Doctor Who and William Penn” was created by historic-site interpreters from The Old State House in celebration of the Dover Comic Con comic-book festival that will be held at a variety of Dover locations on Aug. 19, 2017. The play is based on the British science-fiction television program “Doctor Who” which depicts the adventures of a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who explores the universe in a time-travelling space ship. His companion in the play, William Penn, was the founder of the colony of Pennsylvania who made his first landing in the New World at what is now New Castle, Del. in 1682 and who founded the town of Dover in 1683.

William Penn

William Penn

Completed in 1791, The Old State House is one of the oldest existing capitol buildings in the United States. It served as the home of Delaware’s legislature until 1933 when the General Assembly moved to larger quarters in Legislative Hall. The venerable structure now appears as it would have in the late 1700s during the United States’ critical early years as a nation. It features a courtroom, governor’s and county offices and chambers for the state’s Senate and House of Representatives. The building is situated on Dover’s historic Green, a public area laid out in 1717 in accordance with William Penn’s order of 1683. The Green is a partner site in the First State National Historical Park.

The Old State House

The Old State House

American Alliance of Museums accreditation logo


Tags: , , , , , ,

DHCA Blog Logo

+