Welcome to the official blog of Delaware’s Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs. This inaugural post is a special milestone in the division’s current “Point and Click” initiative, which aims to make the division and its holdings more accessible to the public. Having as much concern for the future as we do for the past, we also hope that this forum will make the public more accessible to the division.
In other words, “It is my pleasure to introduce to you the Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs.” State agency we may be, we are also a team of individuals deeply committed to “Saving Delaware History” and using it to carry Delaware’s story forward for future generations. This important work takes our staff across the state and the region on a wide variety of directives:
- If you live in Delaware or have had the good fortune to visit the First State, you may have seen our costumed interpreters at one of our 6 museums.
- Perhaps you’ve seen some of our work and the state’s historical objects on display at one of those museums.
- Maybe you’ve driven by or attended an event at the state’s beautiful Buena Vista Conference Center on Route 13 in New Castle.
- Did you see us when you were headed to the beach on State Route 1?
- What about your boating trip to one of our rivers, inlets, or bays? Did you see us lurking in the depths beneath you?
Alright, that last example may have been a little eerie, but we are all over the state and we are doing a lot more than meets the eye. I hope that this new blog will give you an opportunity to engage with the people that are doing these wonderful things as well as those wonderful things that they are doing.
This is also a good opportunity to point out some other great things that are happening outside of our division. Here are some other state blogs that you can check out in order to keep your finger on the pulse of the Delaware’s past and present:
- Spotlight Online
- This blog spotlights services and information to connect citizens to government.
- This blog spotlights tourism in Delaware.
- Public Archives
- This blog will focus on preserving Delaware history and will feature upcoming events, news, and other items of interest from the Public Archives collections
- Cyrus Forwood – Delaware Soldier in the American Civil War
- As part of the State of Delaware’s Civil War Sesquicentennial Commemoration, the Delaware Public Archives is using this blog to repost notes and observations Forwood wrote in his diary during his time as a soldier–day-by-day.
I look forward to watching this initiative unfold as we continue to build connections within our public and professional communities by “Blogging Delaware History.”
Check back soon!
Timothy A. Slavin
Director, Historical & Cultural Affairs
What would you like to see in a blog devoted to “Saving Delaware History?”